Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Outdoor Wednesday...

Outdoor Wednesday: Click on the picture below to learn more...



Old but not forgotten...
The south is known for it's mills, mainly textile, but this old mill produced cornmeal. Although she looks ragged and worn, plans are to restore her over the next five years.


She churned out sack fulls of cornmeal to the community, and
travelers from afar from
1831 until the 1960's


Most of the workings inside the mill are intact.

The heavy millstones (some 1,500 pounds each) and the foundation are 
believed to have been built about the time of
the American Revolution.

As always, when I look back in time I am always amazed at the strength and determination
the generations before us displayed.

I become unraveled if the microwave doesn't work or even worse, the internet.

I'm linking to Outdoor Wednesday
Glad you dropped by and y'all come back!


10 comments:

  1. There's an old grist mill near us that a couple restored and made corn meal with - it is wonderful and picturesque!
    This one is fabulous,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's wonderful that old mills like this one are being restored for us to enjoy and appreciate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy seeing these old mills restored. Cornbread is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you. Sometimes I just feel wimpy!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. we have lots of older mills here in new england also. knowing how the southerners love cornmeal I'm thinking that this was a very busy place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad they're going to restore it- I can't stand for these great structures to just fall down!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lot of people say about the good old days but don't realize how difficult they were in some ways. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great capture and processing of your mill. The textures you used a perfect. I just completed Kim Klassen’s Essentials Course online so am really into textures. Love what you did here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos of the old mills.

    Thank you for your visit .

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so neat! Love your pretty plates on the wall. I am a big fan of that style, and love to change them out seasonally.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I
read each and every one.
Have a blessed day!
Annette