Finally, I found a mirror I thought would work at Old Tyme Pottery. With a little help from Mr. Vintaintagesouthern we added wood to the center of the mirror to make panes,sanded off the finish, (it was a dark oak finish), and painted it white. Skipper had to pose for the photo opt :)
It still was not what I wanted so we searched and found an old window sill. Mr. VS added it to the bottom and it made a perfect shelf for my shells.
I found the shutters at Goodwill for ten dollars painted them white and things were looking up. All I needed now was some plates to add some color to the wall. A trip to Marshalls yielded just what I was looking for. I am amazed at how much the mirror changed the looks of the room. Thanks Cindy for the inspiration.